Bob has written for the online magazine Suite 101 since October, 2008. He was the Feature Writer for Latin America/Caribbean Travel in 2009, became the Feature Writer for Birds and Birding in January, 2010 and is now the magazine’s Topic Editor for Birds. Bob grew up in the midwest and has lived in California, Oregon and Arizona. Today he and his wife, Prudy live in the foothills of the Santa Catalina Mountains north of Tucson.
Bob has traveled extensively in the United States, Canada and Mexico, pursuing his interests in birding, photography, backpacking and fishing. An avid interest in birding, scuba diving, photography and other cultures has taken him around the world to destinations in Egypt, Indonesia, Southeast Asia, Central and South America and the Caribbean.
His educational background includes a degree in Chemistry, a graduate degree in Management and Finance and post-graduate studies in science, engineering, Spanish and writing. In addition to his essays here and articles on Suite 101, Bob’s writing includes fiction, poetry, birding, travel and humor. He writes a monthly birding column for a newspaper in Arizona, and his articles appear in the travel magazine, Another Day in Paradise, published in Zihuatanejo, Mexico. He is always available for freelance writing opportunities.
To date, Bob has received seven Editor’s Choice Awards:
- Birding by Cruise Ship in the Caribbean
- The Xantus’ Hummingbird, Baja California’s Only Endemic Hummer
- Birding the White Mountains in and Around Greer, Arizona
- The Greater Roadrunner, New Mexico’s State Bird
- Where to Find Steelhead on the Lower Deschutes River in Oregon
- Birding La Bajada near San Blas, Mexico
- The 2008 Christmas Bird Count at Estero del Yugo in Mazatlan